Justin Laugherty hit the $1 million Powerball New Mexico jackpot, but seems cool about it. Photo
Most people admit to screaming at the top of their lungs when they win the lottery.
Here's some different ways winners handle their wins according to a recent survey:
- One winner was by himself when he found out, so he went outside, picked up the dog and told her.
- 85 percent stayed in their regular jobs.
- Other winners kept working but changed jobs for something more enjoyable. "Got another job paying less, but with less stress," said one winner.
- More than half of all winners reported to being happier.
- About 17 percent felt more relaxed, but for some it came at a price: "I gained weight because I had nothing to worry about," said one happy winner.
- Only 4 percent of winners felt guilty about their win.
- Most winners rush to tell their family first.
- Only 5 percent have kept their win a secret.
- Over 50% pay off their mortgage, or buy a new house.
- One winner withdrew $10,000 in cash "just because I could."
- 64% share their prize with family or friends.
- Over 50% donate to charity.
And the most amazing figure?
This: 98% of winners still buy tickets!